If anyone is feeling sad, stop. Forget about yourself. The only times we really are sad are when we're thinking about ourselves.
When we focus on others, that's when happiness comes. Everything is a choice. Literally. Everything.

Monday, February 22, 2016

Emergency Meetings

Buenas Tardes mis amados!
I hope you all had a wonderful week! Mine was very busy and very good.
We had exchanges early on in the week and I was with my ZL Elder Davis. He's a real cool guy, we had a lot of fun together, and I learned a lot. That was I think Wednesday, and then Thursday we had a zone meeting and it was great! ThenFriday at the end of weekly planning we got a call from our ZLs, who told us that we had to be in McAllen the next day at 8:30 AM. At first we thought it was a joke, but turns out it wasn't! So because I drive the minivan, we ended up waking up at 3 AM to get ready to pick people up and then drive the 2.5-3 hours down to McAllen. It was a long drive, especially without food in the car, but the meeting was well worth it. Elder Lawrence E. Corbridge of the Seventy was there and spoke to us for about 2 hours on "Teach Repentance, Baptize Converts." It was a fantastic meeting in which there were a lot of really good guidelines. One of the things I remember most is the Teaching Model (Caleb and Lys, pay attention and apply this on Wednesday night): 1. Destination. Explain Why. 2. Route. Explain How. 3. Conclusion. Invite to do What. 
To expand on that, the first thing we need to teach investigators is the "why" behind all that we do. Why are we baptized, why do we keep this commandment, why we go to church, whatever the lesson is. The next thing we do is explain how it is done, and then we invite them to do that. For example, we keep the Sabbath Day holy because it's how we show God that we love Him and remember Him on His day, we do that by going to church, partaking of the sacrament, and refraining from any unholy activities for the remainder of that day, and we're promised that when we do this the "fullness of the earth" is ours (D&C 59). The blessing attached to the Sabbath is joy and temporal help, and that's an important part of extending the invitation. So those that are being missionaries this Wednesday, make sure that you follow that pattern! It helps bring the spirit and ensure effective teaching/learning. And most of all, bear testimony. 

That was the majority of the week, I'm still recovering from a 19hour day on Saturday, 6 of which were driving, so I hope this letter made sense and that I didn't ramble too much! (My family knows, I ramble when I'm tired) I hope you all have a great week and that you can continue to grow in your faith and love toward our Savior, Jesus Christ. Les quiero!

Elder Packer

1. Elder Davis and I
2. Sanchez and me on the drive back
3. A trailer we saw on the drive back. #viveNuevoLeon!




No comments:

Post a Comment